AWS Snow Family
AWS Snow Family is a collection of physical devices that help to migrate large amounts (terabytes or petabytes or exabytes) of data into the cloud without depending on networks/Internet. AWS Snow Family services help physically import/export of data securely and quickly to AWS.
- Large data transfer during cloud migration.
- On-premises data backup for disaster recovery.
- Data center relocation and/or remote data collection.
- Physically isolated environment where high-speed Internet connections are not available.
AWS Snowball is a service that provides secure, rugged devices to transfer(import/export) large amounts of data between Amazon S3 and your on-premises data centers.
- Snowball helps to transfer a large amount of data, Amazon provides a physical snowball device that transfers data faster than the internet.
- It comes in two size:80 TB and 50 TB.
- It provides encryption to protect your data at rest and in physical transit.
- Snowball might not be the right choice, if you want to transfer data less than 10 TB.
- You can perform local data transfers between your on-premises data center and a Snowball.
- You can manage your jobs through the AWS Snowball Management Console.
AWS Snowball Edge
Snowball Edge is a 100TB data transfer device with AWS computing and storage capabilities. Snowball Edge device comes with two options: Compute Optimized and Storage Optimized.
- Snowball Edge Storage Optimized: This device provides around 40 vCPUs with 80 TB of usable block or object storage.
- Snowball Edge Compute Optimized: This device provides around 52 vCPUs, 42 TB of usable block or object storage, and an optional GPU.
AWS Snowball Edge Features
- Snowball is a 100TB data transfer device that can transport data faster than the internet.
- It contains Network adapters with transfer speeds of up to 100 GB/second.
- It supports Amazon S3 and Amazon EC2 endpoints that enable the programmatic use cases.
- It supports to write and run Lambda functions.
- It allows you to cluster Snowball Edge devices for local storage and compute jobs to achieve 99.999% data durability across 5–10 devices and also ensures to run your application locally, even when they are not able to access the cloud.
- It provides a file interface to read and write data to an AWS Snowball Edge device through a file share or Network File System (NFS) mount point.
AWS Snowmobile is an exabyte-scale data transfer service that enables customers to quickly migrate a large amount of data from on-premises to AWS with secure, fast, and cost-effective manner.
- You can transfer 100PB per Snowmobile, a 45-foot long ruggedized shipping container, pulled by a semi-trailer truck.
- It is ideal for multi-petabyte or Exabyte-scale data (such as video libraries, genomic sequences, seismic data, satellite images) migrations or a complete migration of data center.
- It is tamper-resistant, waterproof, and temperature controlled with multiple layers of logical and physical security — including encryption, fire suppression, dedicated security personnel, GPS tracking, alarm monitoring, 24/7 video surveillance, and an escort security vehicle during transit.
Image via [https://aws.amazon.com/snow/?nc=sn&loc=1 ]